Presentation of the buffet table:
Any caterer or hotel chef will tell you that the most important factor of a buffet table is the way the food appears to the guests. An effective buffet presentation will impress your guests and help create an atmosphere of splendor, even on a budget.
Remember, these tables are part of your event décor and theme.
Here are some basic rules to follow to help you create interesting and enticing buffet tables for special events.
*Elevate the food dishes. Unless you are having a potluck you should NEVER serve your foods on flat trays across a table. This can be done in several ways:
* Use heavy books covered by a tablecloth or linen napkins, you may also want to make a staircase presentation with the books covering them with linen napkins and then placing your food items onto them simulating a staircase. Make sure the books you use are heavy enough to hold the items you are placing on top of them.
* Large and small bowls turned upside down and covered with tablecloths or linen napkins. Make sure the bowls you use are sturdy enough to hold the items placed onto them.
* Cake stands are also a great way to elevate foods and even use as centerpieces. Check with family and friends.
* Check around the house to see what you have readily available to use. Just remember, the items you decide to use MUST be sturdy and strong enough to hold the item/items you wish to place on top of them.
* Layering adds depth and interest so when you are creating, place shorter items in front of the taller items. Use odd numbers in groupings, for example: 2-3 décor items with 2-3 food items. This has been a long proven method for presentations.
* Fill the table with color for eye appeal. In addition to the foods being served place ribbons, pyramids of fresh fruit, greenery, flowers and/or candles, unique tabletop décor items and even small statuettes to add interest in and around the food trays to create an interesting and memorable buffet.
* Garnish the food trays. You don’t need to spend hours carving up radishes and apples but it is advisable to add something! Here are a few ideas:
*Frame each dish with a green leaf lettuce such as romaine.
* Add fresh flowers or even one
* Add melon slices to compliment and add eye appeal
* Add parsley
* Add fresh strawberries, pineapple chunks or your favorite fruit
All these items are simple add-ons that will help you transform your buffet table into an amazing presentation of great tasting and great appealing foods for you and your guest!